Social Studies Resources
Curriculum & Test Prep
- NC Essential Standards: 6th Gr Social Studies
- NC Essential Standards: 7th Gr Social Studies
- NC Essential Standards: 8th Gr Social Studies
- NC Final Exams (NCFE) are end-of-year tests used in subject areas that do not have state EOG or EOC tests, for instance, Science and Social Studies. These were new in 2012-2013 (called Measures of Student Learning (MSL) at the time).
- Test-Taking Tips: proven strategies to help you show what you know.
- Standardized Testing: Info for Parents
Social Studies Websites
- African American History - Biograhical sketches of celebrities, scientist, sports figures and politicans, from the History Channel.
- Brainpop - excellent social studies resources and short videos from the BrainPop library
- Country Reports - an excellent and comprehensive online reference website that provides lots of content area text organized within a database
- CultureGrams - available from RHMS computers.
- History Channel: Social Studies Lesson Plans - multimedia features, teacher manuals and classroom materials for the social studies classroom
- Land of Golden Dreams - Bring American history and literature to life using lessons based on the California Gold Rush and collections in the Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens.
- Mythweb - introduces readers to the heroes, gods, and monsters of Greek mythology
- Greek Mythology and the Theater
- Popular Songs in American History - American folk and traditional music (arranged by time period) with lyrics, MIDI files, tune information and history. (Automatically plays music when you go to the website.)
- Smithsonian Education - Lots and lots of information for teachers, students and parents.
- MapMaker - Customize one-page maps and download, email, print, or share!
- U.S. Presidents Biographies - click on the president's name to go to that page
- World Mapper