Curriculum & Test Prep
- NC Essential Standards: Science
- NC Final Exams (NCFE) are end-of-year tests used in subject areas that do not have state EOG or EOC tests, for instance, Science and Social Studies. These were new in 2012-2013 (called Measures of Student Learning (MSL) at the time).
- Test-Taking Tips: proven strategies to help you show what you know.
- Standardized Testing: Info for Parents
Science Games & Activities
- Brainpop (Science) - excellent science resources and short videos from the BrainPop library
- Brainpop (Engineering & Technology) - excellent technology resources and short videos from the BrainPop library
- Bridge Designer - This site (by the engineering school at Johns Hopkins University) allows the user to construct a truss, often used in bridges
- Electricity - a good site about electricity safety
- Energy - information about the different types of energy. Wisconsin K12 Energy Education Program.
- Energy Quest - including Watt's That Junior Energy Games
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for Kids
- Extreme Oil - Oil is more in demand and harder to find than ever. This site tracks oil production from four oil-producting areas of the world.
- Gizmos! - interactive online simulations that power inquiry and understanding (free 30 day trial)
- Hobby Shop - Here you'll find some fun and interesting activities in a variety of math and science areas, such as building a rocket or looking at specimens under a microscope.
- How Stuff Works - Just like the books, about how stuff works!
Science Games & Activities, continued
- National Zoological Park - Information about our National Zoo, special articles about some of the animals, endangered species and many more things.
- The Periodic Table of Comic Books - Great site for learning the periodic table of elements (grades 6-12)
- Science Fair Ideas - Excellent guide for making a winning science fair project for any level science class.
- Sodaplay Science Interactivity - Allows you to construct models (requires login)
- The Science House - innovative STEM programs and resources (NCSU). Sponsors the Science Olympiad and enrichment programs for students.
- Science of Baseball - Test your reflexes and reaction time against the 90mph fastball and learn the science of pitching a baseball.
- Science of Hockey - Test your reflexes and reaction time against the world's best hockey players as well as learning about the science of the game.
- Skyview Cafe - What stars, plants, and constellations are over your house tonight? (Requires Java)
- Solar System - Discover the wonders of our solar system in a spectacular 3-D environment. Take a flyby tour of the sun and each planet in its orbit, observe planets and extraterrestrial weather patterns up close, and more.
- StarChild Learning Center for Young Astronomers is a popular interactive website with information about the solar system organized into appropriate reading levels for elementary students
- Successful Science Fair Projects
- A Walk in The Woods - Go take a hike! Explore the cycle of life and living things on your walk. Also in Spanish.