Helpful Info For RHMS Parents
Handbooks & Forms
School Meals - Links to breakfast & lunch menus; meal prices; applications for Free & Reduced Lunch, and other resources.
The USDA Summer Meal program is a nationwide program that feeds children ages 18 and under who would typically receive free or reduced lunch during the school year.
A few tips for ensuring proper bus assignment for your child:
- Durham Public Schools Transportation
- Here Comes The Bus: a service that lets you track your child's bus, get notifications and more. School code for RHMS is 97034.
- Contact Rogers-Herr to sign up for bus transportation or to request a different bus stop.
- Call 919-560-BUSS (2877) (6am - 6pm) to check your child's bus status, including on-time arrival, breakdowns, etc.
- When registering your child for school, please make sure that you check ‘Y’ (Yes) for morning and/or afternoon transportation in the school bus transportation box on the student data sheet. If your child was pre-registered, please call the school to confirm that the appropriate transportation requests are indicated on the student data sheet.
- Please notify the school if your child needs an alternate bus stop location such as daycare, for either morning or afternoon.
- It is equally important to notify the school if your child does NOT need transportation.
- A student may ride immediately to/from an existing stop with a bus pass issued by the school.
- To ensure that your child has an assigned stop on the first day of school, please notify your school of a change in address or alternate location three weeks prior to the first day of school.
Discovery class is a support system for all students that gives each and every one the chance to achieve success! Learn more about our Discovery class from this presentation!
PowerSchool Home Base
Your child's grades and assignments, attendance and other student data are all available online! To get login information for yourself or for your child, please call us at 919.560.3970.
Log into Home Base
PowerSchool's Student/Parent Portal
If you need help, or an introduction to all the things Home Base can do:
- Quick Reference
- Video Guide
- Slide Show Presentation
(very large download: 25 MB PDF)
- Guía de Usuario
PowerSchool is used in all public schools throughout North Carolina. Through the Home Base portal, you can also sign up for email updates, add siblings, and grant access to other caregivers.
A PowerSchool app is available for i-devices. Android users must access PowerSchool through a browser.
- Learn about our after school care program, Encore (download brochure for registration form).
- Extra-Curricular Activities - clubs and academic competitions offered by Rogers-Herr
- Athletics - Learn about the sports teams at Rogers-Herr and how to get involved
- Enrichment Programs in the Community - engaging educational opportunities offered by local organizations
- AIG services at RHMS plus links to more resources for students and families
Resources To Help You and Your Child
- Review our Health & Wellness Page for important, updated information every RHMS parent should know.
- See our Standardized Testing page for parents and our Test-Taking Tips page for students.
- How to Help Kids with Homework - from the National Association of School Psychology
- How to Support Your Child in School and at Home - from Prevent Child Abuse New Jersey
- Math Placement Guide - this page details how math placement decisions are made
Help Your Child Succeed
The National PTA has created several pages with useful information for parents:
- Communicating With Children
- Helping Students Achieve
- Helping Children Be Their Best
- Preventing Perfectionism in Children
- How to Encourage A Love of Reading & Learning
- Guides to Student Success for Grades K-8, in English & Spanish
- NC Exceptional Children's Assistance Center - nonprofit organization offering information and support to families, students and educators of children with special needs.
- Parent & Family Advocacy and Support Training (PFAST) - a six-session course (offered year-round) that teaches families how to help their child achieve and better navigate the public schools. Topics include parent-teacher conferences, testing, individual education plans, advocacy and much more. Childcare and dinner are provided.
- Autism Resources for Parents
- Help Loved Ones w/ Sensory Overload Enjoy Shopping
- Academic Accommodation Resources
- Estate Planning for Parents of Special Needs Kids
Educational experiences may be excused ONLY if:
- BEFORE the trip, it is approved as an educational absence by our Principal, Dr. Rogers.
- BEFORE the trip, the form found at this link (Spanish version) is completed and given to our Data Manager, Ms. Richmond.
- AFTER the trip, the student turns in a 2-page summary of their educational experience to Ms. Richmond (absence isn't excused until the paper is submitted).
Stamp Out Bullying
Sharing these anti-bullying websites with students and parents is just one of the many ways that we seek to raise awareness about the consequences of bullying and proper ways to address it. Ensuring the safety of our children is always our highest priority.